Tuesday 28 August 2012

Desi beats in Dubai




Desi' (the term that Indians use for each other overseas). Dubai definitely has its fair share of desi population, and the number is surprisingly large.
As our groups of friends mingled and got talking, I took a moment to put things in perspective. I had been in Dubai for over 4 months, my longest stay out of India ever. Yet the most carefree and candid conversations I had ever had were with 'desis' overseas. When we are outside India, we are more accepting of people and their fallacies. But when we are in India, we become judgemental and look at people as Marathis, Assamese, Biharis, Hindu, Muslim and so on and so forth. We are even ready to kill each other over such differences.

The word 'desi' is endearing for it breaks our regional boundaries and gives us one unifying identity. I feel that we are much more of a desi when outside India than when in it. In all my life I had never celebrated Independence Day with as much energy and ardour as I did this year! There is a beautiful bond between all Indian families here, oblivious to any differences. It's so beautiful that it makes me wish for the hundredth time that this was happening in India and not in a foreign land.

Maybe the unifying force we need is that of a neutral government, one that will keep the various entities in check. My friends and I miss India a lot. But then we wonder what would we go back to - communal riots, sexual assaults on women, scams and forgery? Is it worth it? Every 'desi' abroad mulls over this question.

Almost on cue, the DJ played a Punjabi number (yes in Dubai too!). And all the 'desis' in the house were on their feet in no time, just like that.












 




Desi Ghee Incarnate
Little India
The star wrestler-actor Dara Singh embodied all that Indian-style clarified butter or “desi ghee” stands for — not least its potential for good honest home-grown strength and tenacity. 49 minutes ago. Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font. Next ...
See all stories on this topic »
Desi beats in Dubai
Times of India
Suddenly a young man appeared from nowhere and held my arm to keep me steady. Even in the dim light of the club, I could make out that he was a 'desi' (the term that Indians use for each other overseas). Dubai definitely has its fair share of desi ...
See all stories on this topic »
Third time desi
New York Daily News
In an earlier interview, when asked if going the desi way worked best for her, Sonakshi had said, "I don't mind experimenting, but sticking to the Indian look has definitely worked well for me so far. I think it has also made me connect with my ...
See all stories on this topic »
Salman's Ek Tha Tiger scores Rs 175 cr at desi Box Office
Oneindia
Salman Khan's latest movie Ek Tha Tiger, which hit the screens on August 15, has topped theIndian Box Office chart in the second weekend too. The Kabir Khan directed action thriller has done an excellent collection, thereby sidelining new release ...
See all stories on this topic »

1 comment: